An act of kindness can have a lifetime impact. We all experience times of weakness in our lives. When someone comes alongside of us with a heart of compassion, the power in that act of benevolence reassures our heart. It is a reminder of God’s love for us.
When I first met Reni she was a young nursing student. I was alone and brokenhearted in a hospital bed in Baton Rouge. Having been a victim in a violent gang war, I was suffering from two gunshot wounds. While completely restrained in a body cast, I was hoping my shattered bones would repair. I had been transferred from Texas to Louisiana, and I did not know a soul until a nurse with a reassuring smile entered my life.
Thirty-six years later, I am so grateful for her many acts of kindness towards me. Reni quickly became my friend. She took care of my personal needs; clean hair does wonders for the soul! She stayed with me through painful physical therapy sessions, and when I awoke from yet another surgery, she was there with words of encouragement. Selflessly, she gave her time to me. We only spent a couple of months together, yet we remained friends through the years.
Stop and look, and you’ll find hurting people all around you. They are longing for someone to bring goodness and kindness to them. Could you be the one to make a difference in someone’s life? What will be in your first aid kit of compassion? Here’s some suggestions:
• Lifesaver – a reminder that the LORD is there to help. Psalm 46:1
• Candy Kiss – a reminder that LOVE should be a part of everyday. 1 John 4:7
• Pen – a reminder to count your BLESSINGS daily. Ephesians 1:3
• Rubber Band – a reminder to be flexible. GOD has it under control. Romans 8:28
• Toothpick – a reminder to pick out the GOOD in others. Matthew 7:1
• Eraser – a reminder that everyone makes mistakes. Through Jesus there is FORGIVENESS of sins. Acts 13:38
• Salt – a reminder that God wants us to be the salt of the earth and ENCOURAGE one another. Matthew 5:13
• Cross – a reminder of God’s love for you in JESUS. Hebrews 12:2
• Tissues – a reminder to those who sow in TEARS shall reap in joy. Psalm 126:5
• Band Aids – a reminder that Jesus heals the brokenhearted and binds up their WOUNDS. Psalm 147:3
Join the conversation! I invite your comments and hope you will recommend my site to other broken people.